"best friends" - (fuji x100s)
Here are my tips when you want to take a portrait of a stranger:
- know the law - in many countries it is forbidden to take portraits without a contract (if your want to use them in commercial way) etc...so do some research. When you know your rights you are even more confident.
- have a reason - don´t say: "can I take a photo of you?". There is no reason. Say: "Hey! I love your style and your longboard! can I take a Photo of you?". It is a known fact that a question with a reason opens more doors than without.
- smile - don´t look empty or angry. Just smile and seek eye contact (without creepy starring!). Look for the body language. Are they smiling back at you? Open gestures?
- try a conversation - with the great side-effect to learn more about other people
- go to the website of Eric Kim - he wrote tons of lines about the whole topic
It is not important to overcome your fears in twenty minutes. Be patient. Do some portraits with people your know or with friends of your friends. That helps you to learn more about taking right portraits and how to deal with people when a camera is between you and the subject.